The first Cornwall Coal Co coalmine
at Cornwall opened in 1886 when the raiway was completed from The Corners
(Conara) to St Marys the same year.
Over the years several tunnels like the Blue Seam, Snake Gully, Eastern
One, Eastern Two and Eastern Three produced coal for Tasmanian industries.
Cheap oil dumped on the World markets in the 1950s and 1960s, however,
saw a downturn in the Australian Coal Industry and as a consequence Cornwall
mine closed in February 1964
This photo was donated by
Robert Herron of Launceston.
It was taken by his Father around 1958..