Although a private school operated
at Avoca in the 1840s, the first Public School to open in the Fingal Valley
was in the Old Probation Station at Fingal in 1856.
By 1884 there were some 65 students at Fingal and the above school, along
with a Masters quarters, was built from freestone taken from a local quarry.
The school building is one of the oldest still used as a school in Tasmanian
Back to Photos